Immigration matters for non-EU citizens

Photo illustrating the news item

In order to carry out Erasmus+ mobility if you are not a citizen of the European Union, you will have to closely follow the regulations of the host country. The immigration rules differ in each country, so find out which ones apply in your case and if needed, apply for the required immigration document well in advance while you still have not entered the host country for the Erasmus+ mobility. Do not leave this task until the final moment.

You will need to provide the Erasmus+ coordinator with the following documents:

1) A Latvian residence permit that is valid for the whole mobility period:

• If the Latvian RP ends during mobility, renew it before leaving for Erasmus, contact at FSD for help if you are still a student of RTU.
• We can issue a grant confirmation in Latvian to confirm part of the necessary living expense coverage.

2) The host country immigration document (visa/residence permit/registration etc.):

• Additional immigration document is mandatory unless stated otherwise by the embassy or immigration office of the host country.
• Let us know if you need documents such as a nomination letter (stating your Erasmus status) or a grant confirmation (stating your scholarship amount).
• See if the host university/host company has provided you with the guidelines regarding immigration matters.
Embassies’ contact info you can find here:

• Note that with a Latvian RP card, you can stay in another Schengen zone country for up to 90 days within 180 day-period unless there is a special regulation that allows Erasmus+ students/trainees to stay in another country with Latvian RP only. Leaving the host country for a day and then returning is not fixing the issue and your presence in the host country in this case would still be illegal after 90 days of presence there if an additional immigration document is required after 90 days.

Photo by Jason Leung on Unsplash

15 Nov 2022